Jones Waldo’s Water Rights Practice Group has many years of experience covering the entire array of water rights issues in Utah and surrounding states. We have experience representing water rights owners, developers, resource companies, lenders, governmental entities and mutual water companies. In addition we work closely with other professionals, such as engineers, hydrologists, appraisers, brokers and others, to ensure that full value is added to our client’s water resource project.
Examples of matters handled by our group are:
- Representing private mutual irrigation company in multi-million dollar sale of all water rights assets to municipality.
- Negotiating and documenting purchase of all water rights needed for development of a research and development campus in Riverton, Utah.
- Investigating and documenting the water rights owned by a public utility company on a major interstate river system.
- Assisting in the formation of water companies and in the reorganization of historic irrigation companies by updating corporate documentation and water rights filings.
- Administrative proceedings before the Utah State Engineer relating to applications to appropriate, change applications, diligence right filings, water right titles, and protests.
- Litigation involving appeals form decisions of the State Engineer, general adjudications and quiet title actions.
- Advising clients on protecting and maximizing the marketability and value of their water rights.
- Negotiating, conducting due diligence investigations and documenting major commercial loans secured by water rights.
- Representing municipalities and service districts in water revenue-secured loan transactions.
- Acquiring water rights for servicing major commercial, industrial, agricultural, and residential developments.
AttorneysRick L. Knuth (Group Leader)
Janelle E. Bauer
Randon W. Wilson