Handles contract, statutory and real estate litigation in its various forms.
Advises both national and local clients in commercial landlord/tenant litigation matters.
In addition to areas of negotiation and trial practice, Bruce has written briefs that have resulted in decisions establishing for the first time various principles of Utah law including:
- A court cannot add pre-judgment interest to an award of reasonable attorney fees
- An appellant has no need to marshal evidence (a peculiar requirement of Utah appellate law) when appealing only conclusions of law
- An alleged promise to loan money is unenforceable under the Utah statute of frauds
- Under certain circumstances, an oral promise of continued employment can rebut the presumption of at-will employment and the express words of an employee manual
- Purchasers under a land-sale contract are entitled even after default to the release of property for which they paid before default.
In addition to persuading Utah appellate courts to adopt these legal principles for the first time, Bruce successfully litigates on appeal issues requiring courts to apply existing law to the facts of a particular dispute.
In the sixteen years between 1968 and his graduation from law school in 1984 (on his 39th birthday), Bruce managed a regional trucking company operating in the Intermountain West.
University of Utah, S. J. Quinney College of Law, Salt Lake City, Utah, J.D., 1984
- Winner, Traynor Moot Court Competition, 1982-1983
- Chancellor, Moot Court Board, 1983-1984
- Member, Utah Law Review, 1983-1984
Wesleyan University, B.A., 1967
Utah State Bar
American Bar Association, Litigation Section and Forum Committee on the Construction Industry
Kostopulos Dream Foundation, Board Member.
Salt Lake City Corps of the Salvation Army, Advisory Board Member and Chair of Community Services Committee.
Born, Price, Utah, 1945
- Oakwood Village, LLC v. Albertson's Inc., 104 P.3d 1226 (Utah 2004)
- James Constructors v. Salt Lake City Corporation, 888 P.2d 665 (Utah App. 1994)
- Sanderson v. First Security Leasing Co. 844 P2d 303 (Utah 1992)
- Saunders v. Sharp. 840 P2d 796 (Utah App. 1992)
- Saunders v. Sharp, 818 P2d 574 (Utah App. 1991)
- Saunders v. Sharp, 806 P2d 198 (Utah 1991)
- In Re Sunstone Ridge Assoc., 51B.R. 560 (D. Utah 1985)