Leader, Insurance/Tort Practice Group
Former Chair, Litigation Department
Defends retail stores, pharmacies, construction contractors, manufacturers, property managers and insurance agents in litigation.
Defends cases with claims for wrongful death, civil rights violations, pharmacy malpractice, products liability and personal injuries.
Advises insurers in underwriting decisions and coverage disputes.
Defends copyright infringement and Lanham Act claims on behalf of manufacturers and home builders.
Has acted as lead trial counsel in the defense of numerous state and federal jury trials, including jury trials in eight different counties in the state of Utah.
University of Utah, S. J. Quinney College of Law, Salt Lake City, Utah, J.D., 1985
University of Utah, magna cum laude, B.S.,1981
Member, Salt Lake County Bar
Member, American Bar Associations
Member, Utah State Bar
Phi Kappa Phi
Phi Beta Kappa
Born in Arlington, Virginia, 1960
- Choate v. ARS-Fresno, LLC, 2016 UT App 249
- Zisumbo v. Ogden Regional Med. Ctr., 801 F.3d 1185 (10th Cir. 2015)
- Avalos v. TL Custom, LLC, 330 P.3d 727 (Utah Ct. App. 2014)
- Drum v. Northrup Grumman Systems, No. 13-4034 (10th Cir. March 25, 2014)
- Tarazi v. Truehope, Inc., 958 F.Supp.2d 428 (S.D.N.Y. 2013)
- Guss v. Cheryl, Inc., 2010 UT App 249, 240 P.3d 1142
- BC Technical, Inc. v. Ensil Int'l Corp., 2009 WL 81386 (D. Utah Jan. 9, 2009)
- Beach House Club v. Travelers Prop. Cas. Co. of Am., 2009 WL 2512857 (D. Utah Aug. 17, 2009)
- Poyner v. New Albertsons, Inc., 2009 WL 2984040 (D. Utah Sept. 17, 2009)
- Bankhead v. Fire Ins. Exch., 2009 WL 3672893 (D. Utah Oct. 30, 2009)
- Beach House Club v. Travelers Prop. Cas. Co. of Am., 2009 WL 3580058 (D. Utah Oct. 30, 2009)
- Henrie v. Northrop Grumman Corp., 502 F.3d 1228 (10th Cir. 2007).
- Boswell v. Jasperson, 109 F. App'x. 270 (10th Cir. 2004)
- Johnson v. Life Inv. Ins. Co. of Am., 216 F.3d 1087 (10th Cir. 2000)
- Pac. Am. Const. v. Sec. Union Title, 1999 UT 87, 987 P.2d 45
- Alta Health Strategies, Inc. v. CCI Mechanical Srv., 930 P.2d 280 (Utah App. 1996)
- Sharp v. Williams, 915 P.2d 495 (Utah 1996)
- Industrial Power Contractors v. Industrial Commission of Utah, 832 P.2d 477 (Utah App. 1992)
- Crosland v. Board of Review, 828 P.2d 528, cert. denied 843 P.2d 1042
- DeStefano v. Oregon Mutual Ins. Co., 762 P.2d 1123 (Utah App. 1988)
- Deats v. Commercial Security Bank, 746 P.2d 1191 (Utah App. 1987), cert. denied 765 P.2d 1277 (Utah 1988)
Utah Business Magazine, Legal Elite, 2012-2017
Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2015
Best Lawyers in America, Litigation, 2015-2016