Corporate & Securities
Daniel Daines represents public and privately held companies, investors, and entrepreneurs in complex business transactions, with particular focus in mergers, acquisitions and dispositions, business formation, corporate restructuring, private equity and venture capital transactions, fund formation, regulatory compliance, securities offerings and regulation, intellectual property licensing, corporate governance and compliance work, and other general business, commercial and contractual matters.
Daniel is especially active in the technology, life sciences, healthcare, and financial services industries, where he has experience counseling and mentoring clients through all business stages, from startup to exit transactions.
Snell & Wilmer, L.L.P., Associate (2014 -2016)
Mitchell & Barlow, P.C., Associate (2012-2014)
Callister Nebeker and McCullough, P.C., Associate (2008-2012)
Baker & McKenzie, Rome, Italy, Legal Extern (2007)
J. Reuben Clark School of Law, Brigham Young University, J.D., 2009
- Associate Editor, BYU Law Review
- Lead Articles Editor, BYU Education and Law Journal
Brigham Young University - B.A. (History/Business), 2006
Utah Business Magazine, Utah Legal Elite: Up and Coming (2015-2016).
COMMUNITY & INDUSTRY INVOLVEMENT:
VentureCapital.org, Volunteer Mentor
Central Utah Art Center (“CUAC”) (Public Charity), Board Member
Salt Lake Donated Dental Services (Public Charity), Board Member
American Health Lawyers Association
“Who is my Client-Before, During and After a Merger/Acquisition?”, Panelist, Association of Corporate
Counsel: Ethics & Professionalism at the End. Salt Lake City, Utah, November 5, 2015.
“Fraudulent Billing: Overview of Medical Fraud and Abuse Legal Issues”, Presenter, The Rainmaker
Companies, NicheWorks 2015 Conference. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 30, 2015.
“Helping Business Owners to Give Safely: Planned Gifts Involving S-Corporation Stock”, Presenter, Utah Planned Giving Roundtable. Salt Lake City, June 4, 2014.
Utah’s New LLC Act: What You Need to Know. York Howell whitepaper. January, 2014.
The Taxman Cometh: Be Prepared for an Audit. Zions Bank Community Magazine. July/August 2010.
XpertHR Employment Law Manual: Health Information and Privacy (HIPPA): Utah.
- Represented multiple private companies in negotiation, structuring, and documentation of asset acquisitions, equity purchases, and mergers with both private and publicly traded counterparties, in transactions valued from $1 Million to $300 Million.
- Represented multiple early stage companies in seed capital and angel investment equity issuances and debt financings.
- Represented multiple mature companies in growth equity and mezzanine debt offerings.
- Represented private company in negotiation and structure of debt facility in excess of $200 Million.
- Represented public company in multiple strategic acquisitions valued up to $30 Million.
- Represented closely held small businesses in various corporate legal matters, including governance, commercial contract negotiation, export strategy and compliance, intellectual property licensing issues, and employment policies.
- Represented multiple corporate and individual health care providers in M&A transactions, corporate and practice governance, regulatory compliance, and day-to-day contractual matters.
- Represented national banking association in direct loans, as well as loan participation/purchase transactions with other financial institutions, each valued between $1.5 Million and $18 Million.
- Represented national banking association subsidiaries of global sustainable finance fund in Community Reinvestment Act related equity investments, Small Business Administration 504 Program loans, and other equity and debt investments.
- Acted as “outside general counsel” for several clients, coordinating all day-to-day legal needs for such companies.
- Represented national banking associations and regional banks, in commercial and real estate-backed lending transactions.
- Assisted private funds in preparing offering documents and private placement memoranda in connection with multiple offerings.
- Counseled and advised public companies on variety of reporting and disclosure issues related to SEC disclosure requirements.
- Represented insurance and financial products producers in structuring production and commission sharing agreements, and in regulatory compliance matters.
- Represented private corporate clients in restructuring of international operations, management compensation plans, and regulatory compliance matters.
- Represented private manufacturing clients in commercial contracts including licensing, leasing, production and distribution agreements, as well as settlement agreements.
- Represented and advised corporate clients of all sizes, in the purchase, development, marketing and sale of commercial and residential properties, as well as commercial lease negotiations, including as tenant and landlord for properties located in over twenty states.
- Advised 501(c)(3) clients in regards to entity structure, state solicitation registration requirements, and tax-exempt status.