Chair, Real Estate Department
Member, Opinion Letter Committee
- Tom has an extensive finance and real estate practice representing a wide range of businesses and financial institutions. He has served as counsel to banks, life insurance companies and other lenders making pre-development, construction and permanent loans. He has assisted purchasers in privately placed bond deals. He specializes in real estate secured loans and often serves as local counsel in multi-state credits. He has the expertise to assist developers, lenders, nonprofits and governmental entities take advantage of New Markets, Historic and Investment tax credits as part of the project financing.
- His experience includes the purchase and sale, leasing, financing, development and entitlement of office buildings, retail and commercial space, professional buildings and multi-family complexes. Tom has worked with developers and lenders on numerous large and complicated mixed-use projects. He has a comprehensive knowledge of CC&R’s, easements, development agreements and other real estate project documentation resulting from wide-ranging work for a variety of clients.
- Tom has worked with the Redevelopment Agency of Salt Lake City in many development and re-development projects by negotiating and documenting financial assistance in connection with a number of programs benefiting commercial and residential deals involving significant community benefits. He is the outside counsel for the Utah Housing Corporation, the main independent state agency financing affordable housing in the state.
- Tom’s three decades of representing clients in real estate, financing and commercial transactions also include helping Fortune 500 companies negotiate governmental incentive packages for locating in Utah, assisting major out-of-state corporations purchase and entitle property in the state and in the surrounding region, buying and selling companies and assets, negotiating contracts and leases, ensuring regulatory compliance and completing other complicated commercial transactions.
Morrison & Foerster, San Francisco and London
Professor of Business Law, Notre Dame Law School, London Law Centre
Administrative Assistant, Utah Congressman
Harvard College, Cambridge, Massachusetts, magna cum laude, 1974
- Sheldon Traveling Fellowship
Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, cum laude, 1978
- Williston Prize for contract negotiating
Utah Bar Association
American Bar Association
Professionalism Counseling Board (appointed by Utah Supreme Court)
Committee on Legal Opinions, Business Law Section, American Bar Association
International Council of Shopping Centers
National Association of Industrial and Office Properties
Envision Utah (Member of Board of Trustees and Executive Committee)
Governor's Council on Balanced Resources (Member)
Salt Lake City Board of Adjustment and Zoning Appeals (Former Member and Chair)
Salt Lake City Public Utilities Advisory Committee (Former Member and Chair)
Utah Museum of Natural History
Coalition for Utah’s Future
Salt Lake City Futures Commission
Salt Lake CIty Best Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America, 2011
Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2006-2015
Chambers USA, Real Estate, 2004-2015
Super Lawyers, 2007-2015
Utah Business magazine, Legal Elite, 2007-2015
Distinguished Real Property Award, Utah State Bar, 2004